Monday, May 29, 2006

The Energy of the crowd


I ran my first 5k yesterday. The Amy Thompson Run to
Daylight. In support of the Brain Injury Association.

People close to me know about my friend Kathi and the near
death she went through this past March.
There were almost one hundred of us from the community of
her friends who joined to walk/run in her honor.
Most of us had our entire families there.
And, for the official race, it was the largest turnout ever.

Last June I decided I was ready for something new
to turn me on as I began to plan my mid-forties strategy for
looking and feeling my best. I was ready to stretch myself. I
wanted to set a goal that was a bit longer stride than I was
actively taking. My first step was to just start walking around
the block.
Before too long I had increased my distance. Within 6 months
I was walking and running 20 miles a week. The stronger I
got the more I loved it. By December I had decided to start
training for a race.
Little did I know this would be the race, and Kathi would be
my inspiration.

All I knew was I was ready to do something more.
I had not yet maxed myself out. (Thank Goodness!!)

So I trained without a specific goal in mind except that I
would someday soon do a race. And even once I signed up
for this one, I
didn't go into it with a big competitve urge. It was just to do
it.

For the fun, for the momentum, for the experience. I wanted
to see what I am capable of right now. Then I can decide
what I want to do next. How else will I know, right?

I am very happy to report I did my best time ever. And
I loved it. I was proud of
myself. That felt so good.

It's interesting that even though I walk and run almost every
day on my own, it was distinctly different to do it with other
people.
What I experienced was 'the energy of the crowd'.
I looked at their faces. I saw the motivations of their hearts.

First it seemed everyone was there for a cause bigger than
themselves.
Someone in their life had been touched by brain injury. The
shared compassion was evident.
Then there was the excitement of the competitors. As they
burst out in front, clearly the leaders of this pack, everyone
found their own comfort zone. We could see right away,
some would go first. And the rest would follow at their own
pace.
Without the competition it might be quite dull. So everyone
cheered and clapped as the speedy ones zipped by.
And, everyone had their own personal best in mind. Even if it
was as simple as showing up. They made the effort, they
supported the event. They too are an integral part of the
scene.

I saw many women, running and walking alone with the look
and smell of personal ambition. It was our own time that
mattered.
I wanted this to be my best time.
My record. My race. Me and me. And it was the perfect place
to just take off. My friends and I didn't need to walk together.

The kindred spirit was thick on the streets as
strangers ran side by side as compatriots.
We were in
the mix of human existence at it's very best.
For a cause. For each other. For ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment